Foundation of the church
Jesuits is the founder of our lady of the immaculate conception found in Pondicherry that was started by 1693 and completed in 1791 when he came as missionaries to the French colony of Pondicherry by the year 1689, this church was built in cloud white and robin’s egg blue colour mostly. This church was build 3 times ultimately and now the Style of the building is cathedral vogue.
Construction of our lady of immaculate conception
Later a bell tower was built. They brought a large garden to the west of French fort but that was demolished by the Dutch. Then second time a church was that does last long and the third time a church that is very near to the current cathedral was built but later on demolished by the British and the current cathedral is the final church that was built by the French that is lasting ever since 2015. For Roman Catholic church of Pondicherry and Cuddalore, Immaculate Conception cathedral id the mother church. It is located in this famous tourist place Pondicherry and his church is also known as Samba kovil in Tamil which is phonetic duplicity of name saint Paul’s Kovil where kovil means Church. In 1905, a choir loft was added. In order to allow people to take part in special functions and liturgical ceremonies the sanctuary was remodelled in 1970.
Grand festive in the church
Fest of this church that is Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary falls on December 8th. This church stands here for nearly 300 years where the bishop house is also located. The mass is conducted on every Sundays both in English and Tamil. Mother Teresa has visited this church during her tenure of a visit to Pondicherry and this Immaculate Conception cathedral is one of the oldest tourist places in Pondicherry. The church is dedicated to St.Peters and there is a walkway in front of the cathedral. The legend says that our lady of Immaculate Conception cathedral was built after razing The Hindu temple of lord Shiva. Best time to visit this church is during October to February. In the ancient days, this church was found beside the French port. [codepeople-post-map]